My loved one has an opiate addiction.
What do I do?
- LEARN the symptoms of overdose HERE
- GET a Narcan overdose kit HERE
- UNDERSTAND that addiction is a family disease. GET SUPPORT & EDUCATION FOR YOURSELF. This disease is life-threatening. It is critical that you get correct information about how to care for your loved one just as you would with any other disease
- UNDERSTAND that there is a disease process at work & the addict CANNOT JUST STOP USING. Addiction will not respond to logic or emotional pleas
- UNDERSTAND that you did not cause this, you cannot control it and you cannot cure it.
- LEARN what enabling means and stop doing it
- UNDERSTAND that addicts do not want to be this way. AVOID STIGMA AND OFFER LOVE AND SUPPORT FOR RECOVERY. Do not add to their burden of guilt and shame as that can fuel their need to use
- UNDERSTAND that the addict is NOT DOING THIS TO YOU. The unacceptable behavior is not personal – it is a symptom of the disease
- REPORT ANYTHING you know about drug activity to the Stark County Sheriff’s Office ANONYMOUS TIP LINE 330-451- 3937 or ONLINE HERE
- REDUCE access and street crime by getting rid of unused, unwanted and expired prescription medications at free safe drop box locations. VIEW LOCATIONS HERE
- KNOW what to do in an overdose situation HERE
Minerva Community Forum
This Heroin/Opiate abuse forum will be held at the Minerva High School on May 6 at 6 pm.and features quest speakers from Teen Challenge, Warrior Project, Police Chief Miller and several others. The high school is located at 501 Almeda Ave. Minerva, OH 44657
CommQuest 5K Walk/Run for Wellness
Join us at the 6th Annual 5K Walk/Run for Wellness, a family friendly event at Malone University! This year's race will also have activities for kids including an obstacle course, yoga and face painting! Refreshments will be provided, and trophies will be given to the top male and female finishers.
To register, go to https://commquest.org/2017/04/5k-walkrun-for-wellness-may-13-2017/.
Celebrity Scooper Day!
Come support F.A.T.H.E.R.S' Larry & Kara Vogt as Celebrity Scoopers at The Nom Nom Popcorn Company and The Nom Nom Cupcake Factory! 20% of sales directly benefit current and ongoing heroin awareness in Stark County. 4866 Everhard Rd NW, Canton, OH, 5-8pm.
Ohio CAN: Steps of Change
11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at Market Square in downtown Canton. The event features educational tables, speakers, raffle drawings, silent auction items, food and bake sale, fun for kids, balloon launch and a mile walk.
F.A.T.H.E.R.S. Motorcycle Poker Run
Motorcycle Registration is 9-11AM at Massillon Stadium Park.
The Community Event & Resource Fair is from 5pm - 9pm at the Stark County Fairgrounds.